Thunderstorms, hail, high winds, if you live in Utah, you’ve probably seen it all, and you might be wondering, can wind damage my home’s roof?
If you’ve noticed some high winds in your area or even experienced a full-blown windstorm, your roof might show signs of wind damage. Winds that are considered damaging are typically at speeds of 50 miles per hour or more, according to The National Weather Service, and while we Utahans might not experience that every day, that doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened or won’t happen again. This is why we want to help you be prepared to check for roof damage after high winds, so you know what to do and who to call. Keep reading to learn more about how wind damage might present itself on your roof.
Signs of Roof Wind Damage
If you suspect that wind may have caused damage, and you can safely climb onto your roof to inspect, these are the telltale signs that you should look out for:
- Branches or other debris that have blown onto your roof and possibly have caused damage
- Shingles that have mysteriously gone missing
- Shingles that are shifted, loose, curling at the edges, or otherwise damaged
- Split, missing, or otherwise damaged chimney flashing
- Loose shingle granules (you might be able to spot them in the gutter)
- A roof that has started leaking after experiencing high winds
- Gutters that have broken loose, appear to have dents, or have fallen off
- If you have a flat roof, look for rips, tears, cracks, or bubbles in the materials used
What to Do When You Find Wind Damage
Wind damage is no joke, and if it’s not repaired correctly, you could end up with a much larger problem on your hands the next time you experience any form of severe weather. That’s why we suggest calling a roofer immediately. If you’re experiencing any kind of leak through the roof, cover up the hole(s) with a water-resistant tarp and weigh it down using bricks or heavy rocks. That way, the leak won’t cause any more water damage while you wait.
Call The Roof Doctor
Whether it’s wind damage, a leaking roof, or anything else under the sun, The Roof Doctor has your back! Our experienced roofing experts always conduct a thorough inspection and make the necessary fixes to get your roof back to its former glory. If you live in Salt Lake City, Layton, Orem, Tooele, or any town or city in between in Utah, contact us today for your free roofing quote!