A well-maintained roof should last over 20 years, but how much does it cost to maintain that roof? Twenty years is a long time, and homeowners should understand exactly how to care for their roof, what to expect in terms of maintenance, and when they might have to replace the roof.
The roof is easy to neglect and easy to forget, but it’s also fairly easy to maintain as long as you’re aware. Read up on our best roof maintenance tips and general estimates.
How Much Does it Cost to Maintain Roofs?
The short answer? Nothing. If you are a hands-on homeowner, own a ladder, and can commit to regular observation of your roof, maintaining your roof for 20+ years will cost you absolutely nothing.
No Cost Roof Maintenance
- Gutter Cleaning: your gutters should be cleaned twice a year. We recommend cleaning out the detritus of winter when spring starts to bloom, and then again after all the leaves have fallen in late autumn. Be careful on your ladder, but be sure each inch is clear to prevent mold, water damage, and attracting animals and insects.
- Attic Checks: at least once a year you need to inspect the attic or the areas of your home immediately below the roof. Check for mold, drafts, discoloration, drips or leaks, signs of animal life. As unpleasant as it might be to climb into a cramped attic, it can show indications of wear and tear that need to be addressed immediately.
- General Observation: keeping an eye on your roof helps you notice if there are patches of standing water, missing shingles, loose flashing, or any other issues. It can help to take a photo of your roof from all angles each time you clean the gutters so you can see any changes. Changes are sometimes incremental and hard to notice day-to-day, but comparing photos taken over time can show dramatic changes.
$200-$1000 Roof Maintenance
● Tree Trimming: your trees, bushes, and surrounding foliage should have no contact with the exterior of the home. Not only can trees scratch and wear down the exterior and roof of your home, they can also provide a bridge for animals and insects straight to your home.
● Roof Patching: Small areas of damage, loose flashing, missing shingles, gutter problems, and other minor roof issues will likely cost you a few hundred dollars depending on the size and severity of the problem. Still, any roof problem is likely to grow into a bigger issue over time so don’t put this off.
$4,000+ Roof Maintenance
- Roof Replacement: for roofs older than 20 years or facing significant damage, a roof expert will recommend a full replacement.
Call the Roof Doctor
We hope that regular roof maintenance doesn’t cost you a dime, but if you find yourself needing a little more help to keep your roof in shape—call our Roof Doctors today.